Vend Hardware Setup Guide
Set Up Receipt Printing
Register enables you to set up multiple printers for each store, and to print from multiple iPads to these printers. You can also set up split printing, where an extra receipt prints for certain items. This may be useful for printing a barista slip, for example.
There are five supported printers:
Star Printers - can be used immediately with the Register app
- Star TSP 100 LAN series - suitable for use in a store with a WiFi network.
- Star TSP 650 series- suitable for use in a store with a WiFi network (Ethernet connection to router) or via Bluetooth.
- Star SM-S200i - suitable for mobile stores with no WiFi network. This printer connects via Bluetooth.
There are two stages to setting up a receipt printer in Register:
- Set up your printer hardware
- Configure the printer in Vend Register
Star SM-S220i and Star 650 series Bluetooth
The SM S220i is a handheld portable printer, which is great for mobile stores. Alternatively, the 650 series is a countertop alternative, which is great for stores with a fixed power supply, but no ethernet.
Both can only connect to one register at a time.
To set up:
- Turn on 'Bluetooth' in the app settings.
- Open the Settings app on your iPad.
- Tap the 'Bluetooth' option under 'General Settings'.
- Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
- In the 'Device list' tap 'Star Micronics'
- Type in the device PIN: 1234.
- For kitchen or barista printing, read the printing type section below.
Star TSP 100 series LAN and Star 650 series LAN
To set up:
- Connect your iPad to the WiFi network you'll be using.
- Plug the printer into the WiFi router (needs to be the one creating the network) using an ethernet cable.
- Make sure the printer is turned off.
- Hold down the 'feed' button, and turn the printer on.
- This will print two slips. The second slip will have the printer's IP address.
Connect to the App
Once you have set up your hardware, you need to connect to the Register app.
- Tap the menu button in the top-left corner. The sidebar will open.
- Open the settings menu in the Register app.
- Choose 'Hardware'
- Click ‘Add Printer’
- Enter the printer name
- Tap the blue 'Find' button and check if your printer is automatically found. If so, select your printer. If not:
- Tap printer model, and choose your model number.
- Enter the printer IP address. Follow the instructions below to obtain the IP address for the type of printer you've chosen. Note: the SM-S220i does not need this, as it connects via Bluetooth.
Important: You do not need to put any information into the "Bluetooth Adress" field When setting up a Bluetooth SM-S220i or 650II printer. If you get a printer not found error, check and make sure that this field is empty.
- Choose whether this printer will print:
- a standard receipt - this is a typical end-of-sale receipt.
- a secondary receipt - this is a receipt that only prints certain items.
Once you've selected 'standard receipt', the printer menu will give you an option to customise your receipt header. This is the text that appears at the top of each receipt. Your store name will automatically be included.
You may like to consider including:
- Phone number
- Tax number (if required)
- Website address
You can add basic styling to this by tapping the words to select them, and then choosing the ' B I U' option. You can then choose to add bold, italic, or underline styling.
The standard receipt will also include:
- Store name
- Invoice number
- Customer name (if applicable)
- All products, including variants
- Any notes
- Product prices
- Payment Type
Secondary receipts can be used to set up kitchen or barista printing - where you may only want to print some transactions, and even some products within some transactions, to each of their printers. You can have more than one secondary receipt printer, and each can have its own tag settings.
- To change to secondary receipt, tap the 'receipt type' field, and choose 'Secondary receipt'.
A secondary receipt does not have a header or payment details. When printing to a secondary receipt, you can choose to only print items with a certain tag, for example 'coffee' and 'tea', or 'food'.
After you set the receipt type to 'Secondary receipt', the 'Print products by tag' field will appear. Turning on 'Print by tag' and specifying a product tag will cause a receipt to be generated by the printer ONLY when a product with that tag is included in the sale.
- Tap the button to turn it on.
- A new field will appear, called 'Tags'. You can add different product tags in here. Each tag should be separated by a comma.
- Set the 'Cash Drawer Enabled' setting to 'off' - you don't want to trigger the cash drawer for a secondary receipt.
These tags must exactly match the tags you added when you set up your products. You can check these by logging in to the Vend web-app, and clicking the products tab. You can then either look at individual products, or use the 'tags' tab to see what you've already got set up. If you want to know more about setting up tags on products, read this article .
Now, when you make a sale with a tagged product, this receipt printer will generate a receipt as well as your main printer.
Hint : You can print both a standard receipt, and a secondary receipt(s) to the same printer. Just add the same printer twice, and choose standard receipt the first time, and secondary receipt the second time. The printer will then print a full receipt, and the secondary receipt slip on applicable sales.
- You could tag all your coffee products in a café with 'barista' and all the items that need to be sent to the kitchen with 'kitchen'.
- When setting up the printer by the barista, you'd then turn on 'tagging enabled', and specify the 'barista' tag. When setting up the printer in the kitchen, you'd select the 'kitchen' tag.
If I then sell 1 x coffee and 1 x eggs on toast, the following receipts will be printer:
- Main printer - a sale receipt with all items, to be given to the customer
- Barista printer - a receipt with only the coffee, so the barista can process the order
- Kitchen printer - a receipt with only the eggs on toast, so the kitchen can prepare it.
The following items will be printed on a secondary receipt:
- Invoice number
- Products, including variants (provided they match the tags specified)
- Line item notes
- Select whether you'd like your receipts to be printed automatically. At the moment, if you don't automatically print a receipt, you won't be able to manually print one.
- This is set for each printer, so make sure you've set all required printers to automatically print.
Number of receipt copies:
- You can also choose to print multiple copies of the receipt for each printer.